Cambodia Opposition calls for UN help in disputed poll
Phnom Penh: Cambodia`s opposition leader Sam Rainsy called on the United Nations on Monday to help resolve the country`s disputed election in order to protect `the victory` of the people.
The nation has been stuck in a political impasse since Premier Hun Sen`s long-ruling Cambodian People`s Party (CPP) claimed it had won last month`s poll -- one of the most hotly contested votes seen in the country.
Rainsy, who returned from self-imposed exile to lead the opposition after receiving a surprise pre-election royal pardon, has claimed his Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) actually won the July 28 poll.
"Tomorrow we will hold a big rally... To demand the UN comes and resolves the election problem in order to protect the victory of the Cambodian people," Rainsy told a small rally in the capital Phnom Penh.
The CPP said it had secured an estimated 68 of the 123 lower house seats, with CNRP taking 55.
But the result -- marking the lowest support for Hun Sen`s party since 1998 -- has been rejected by the opposition, who claim widespread voting irregularities.
Rainsy has said his party won a majority of 63 seats and has vowed to prevent the CPP "stealing victory".
The official result is not expected until later this month.
Rainsy`s CNRP on Saturday agreed to work with the CPP and the National Election Committee to set up a joint committee to probe alleged election fraud.
But Rainsy has since said his party will not be involved in the process until the UN is allowed to referee the investigation, a level of involvement rejected by the government and the NEC.
They say the international body can only act as an observer.
"We do not trust NEC at all. We will join the investigation only when the UN comes," Rainsy told reporters.
On Friday the UN said that disputes over the election must be "adjudicated fairly" but added it had not yet been asked to join any enquiry.
The United States also urged a probe into alleged misconduct but said the opposition gains marked a positive step toward democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday