Car bomb explodes near Russian military base
Russia: A car bomb exploded near a military base in Russia`s southern Dagestan region on Sunday, killing at least one person, a military official said.
The blast occurred about 100 meters (yards) from a military base in the town of Kaspiysk in the mainly Muslim region of Dagestan, a spokesman for border guard troops at the base said a news agency.
"According to provisional information no-one died except the driver of the car," he said, adding that police were investigating reports the bomb was detonated by a suicide bomber.
The explosion completely destroyed the car, a white Lada, a witness at the scene told a news agency.
Police were on alert for possible attacks ahead of Sunday`s celebrations of the 65th anniversary of the Soviet victory in World War Two.
A bomb disposal expert was killed overnight by an explosive device near apartments housing the families of military officials in Kaspiysk town center, a police spokesman said.
Insurgents from neighboring Chechnya have launched attacks on Victory Day, a holiday associated with the mass deportation of ethnic Chechens by Stalin during the war.
Dagestan, Chechnya and neighboring Ingushetia are at the center of an Islamist insurgency aimed at establishing an independent Islamic state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people