Car bomb explodes near Russian military base
Russia: A car bomb exploded near a military base in Russia`s southern Dagestan region on Sunday, killing at least one person, a military official said.
The blast occurred about 100 meters (yards) from a military base in the town of Kaspiysk in the mainly Muslim region of Dagestan, a spokesman for border guard troops at the base said a news agency.
"According to provisional information no-one died except the driver of the car," he said, adding that police were investigating reports the bomb was detonated by a suicide bomber.
The explosion completely destroyed the car, a white Lada, a witness at the scene told a news agency.
Police were on alert for possible attacks ahead of Sunday`s celebrations of the 65th anniversary of the Soviet victory in World War Two.
A bomb disposal expert was killed overnight by an explosive device near apartments housing the families of military officials in Kaspiysk town center, a police spokesman said.
Insurgents from neighboring Chechnya have launched attacks on Victory Day, a holiday associated with the mass deportation of ethnic Chechens by Stalin during the war.
Dagestan, Chechnya and neighboring Ingushetia are at the center of an Islamist insurgency aimed at establishing an independent Islamic state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane