Car bomb explodes near Russian military base
Russia: A car bomb exploded near a military base in Russia`s southern Dagestan region on Sunday, killing at least one person, a military official said.
The blast occurred about 100 meters (yards) from a military base in the town of Kaspiysk in the mainly Muslim region of Dagestan, a spokesman for border guard troops at the base said a news agency.
"According to provisional information no-one died except the driver of the car," he said, adding that police were investigating reports the bomb was detonated by a suicide bomber.
The explosion completely destroyed the car, a white Lada, a witness at the scene told a news agency.
Police were on alert for possible attacks ahead of Sunday`s celebrations of the 65th anniversary of the Soviet victory in World War Two.
A bomb disposal expert was killed overnight by an explosive device near apartments housing the families of military officials in Kaspiysk town center, a police spokesman said.
Insurgents from neighboring Chechnya have launched attacks on Victory Day, a holiday associated with the mass deportation of ethnic Chechens by Stalin during the war.
Dagestan, Chechnya and neighboring Ingushetia are at the center of an Islamist insurgency aimed at establishing an independent Islamic state.
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success