`Carrier-Style` online craze grips China
Beijing: The Chinese social media is abuzz with imitations of hand signals by crew members of the country`s first aircraft carrier Liaoning. Called "Carrier-Style", it seems inspired by the hugely popular South Korean music video "Gangnam-Style".
In a cross between a genuflection and a two-fingered touchdown gesture from American football, two crew members on the carrier`s flight deck gave a green light to the pilot of a Chinese J-15 fighter jet who succeeded in the country`s first take-off and landing maneuver, reported Xinhua.
Taking a close-up shot from images broadcast on China Central Television (CCTV), this unique flight deck signalling was soon imitated by Chinese Internet users on Twitter-like Sina Weibo and other major bulletin board systems in Chinese.
"Carrier Style" was deemed "cool, powerful and confident as well as amusing and comical" by netizens who uploaded pictures showing various takes on the gesture.
"Carrier Style" rapidly eclipsed the online craze for the "Gangnam Style" music video after which it was named.
On Sina Weibo, posts related to "Carrier Style" were followed by more than eight million users in one day and topped the list of hot topics.
"Although the gesture has often been seen in movies, I couldn`t restrain my excitement the first time I saw it used in instructing a fighter jet to land and take off from China`s first aircraft carrier," commented Han Lu, executive chief editor of a leading car website.
"Like my own child`s growing up, it`s really a thing worthy of congratulation," wrote "Shizizuo Caimiyu".
The successful flight landing on the Liaoning was conducted within two months of the carrier`s delivery to the People`s Liberation Army Navy Sep 25.
"With carrier-borne fighter jets, now China`s own aircraft carrier is truly charting a course for deep seas," commented "lifushou" on Sina Weibo.
"We have done these test flights from the very beginning, and finally we mastered the key skills for the landing of carrier-borne aircraft," said Vice Admiral Zhang Yongyi, the commander-in-chief in charge of the exercise.
"It`s like dancing on a knife point as the aircraft has to land on a very limited space," Zhang said.
The success of the exercise on the Liaoning, using a ski-jump type take-off instead of a catapult system, makes China one of a handful of countries to have mastered landing and take-off of fixed-wing jets on an aircraft carrier.
Refitted from the former Soviet Union`s unfinished carrier Varyag, China`s first aircraft carrier was towed to Dalian in northeast China in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22