Chavez as `little bird`? Get help, Venezuelan leader told
Caracas: A leader of the Venezuelan opposition has said that ruling party presidential candidate Nicolas Maduro should undergo a "mental evaluation" for saying that late head of state Hugo Chavez had appeared to him in the form of a little bird.
"Someone who tells us ... that he is hallucinating, seeing a little bird and that that little bird is giving him instructions, obviously that requires that an evaluation be made of Mr Nicolas Maduro`s mental equilibrium," Leopoldo Lopez told reporters on Wednesday.
Lopez, a member of the campaign of opposition presidential hopeful Henrique Capriles, thus expressed rejection of Maduro`s remarks made on Tuesday, when he said that while he was praying alone in a Catholic chapel in Chavez`s native state of Barinas, the dead president appeared to him as a "tiny little bird".
Maduro on Wednesday reconfirmed what he had said and rejected the criticism against him, saying that "the bourgeoisie" does not respect his spirituality.
"I related something very simple that happened to me yesterday. Yes, it happened to me, it happened to me. And I feel happy that it happened to me, it`s my spirituality and it made me want to share it with the people," he said during an electoral event in the state of Tachira.
The issue came up at the start of the campaign for the April 14 national election and quickly became a focus of commentary and jokes on the social networks.
Maduro and Capriles are vying to serve out the 2013-19 term of Chavez, who died on March 05 after a nearly two-year battle with cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened