Chile recognises 9,800 more Pinochet victims
Santiago: Chile officially recognised 9,800 more victims of its dictatorship, increasing the total number of people killed, tortured or imprisoned for political reasons to 40,018.
A similar effort in 2004 determined that 27,153 survivors
deserve monthly compensation from the government for human
rights violations they suffered.
Together with the 3,065 people who were killed by Chile`s
military or were simply made to disappear and are presumed
dead, the official victim list accepted yesterday by President
Sebastian Pinera totals 40,018.
Survivors of rights violations will get lifetime
pensions of about USD 260 a month. Relatives of those killed
receive more than three times that amount. In all, the
government will need to increase its compensation to about USD
123 million a year. Victims also are entitled to health,
education and housing benefits.
The National Commission on Political Imprisonment and
Torture was created by Pinera`s predecessor, Michelle
Bachelet, in February 2010 as one of her last acts in office.
It reviewed information submitted by thousands of people
in an effort similar to the one led by the late bishop Sergio
Valech, which came up with the previous total of survivors in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway