China: 855 million disaster victims helped by govt
Beijing: Around 855 million people affected by natural disasters in China have received assistance from the government over the last decade, the ministry of civil affairs has said.
Emergency aid and reconstruction for major natural disasters that occurred over the last decade have been completed, the China Daily quoted the ministry as saying.
The government investment in disaster reduction allowances jumped from 2.4 billion yuan (about $390 million) in 2002 to 8.6 billion yuan in 2011, ministry officials said.
Those who lost their homes due to natural disasters received in allowances a sum of 10,000 yuan per household, up from 300 yuan per household in 2002, the ministry said.
Multiple droughts, earthquakes and floods have hit several parts of China over the last decade, including severe earthquakes that struck Sichuan and Qinghai provinces in 2008 and 2010, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head