China brands 30-year-old unmarried women as ‘left overs`
London: Causing a major outcry among the female population in China, the Communist government has labeled Chinese women failing to marry above the age of 30 as ‘left over women’.
The government, which has defined the official age for women being left on the shelf as 27, has ordered its feminist All-China Women’s Federation to use the derogatory term in several articles about the growing number of unmarried educated, professional, urban and single females aged 27-30, the Daily Mail reports.
According to one of the articles, pretty girls do not need a lot of education to marry into a rich and powerful family but girls with an average or ugly appearance will find it difficult, adding that those ‘failing’ to find a husband by the age of 30 are deemed ‘undesirable’.
According to the government, hordes of unmarried men roaming the country may cause social havoc so it is necessary for women to marry. The government wants to shame the women into marrying young to counter the population`s growing gender imbalance, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'