China: Chen`s relatives describe brutal torture
Beijing: Relatives of blind dissident Chen Guangcheng have for the first time told about beatings meted out to them by local officials after the Chinese activist escaped house arrest.
Chen`s brother, Chen Guangfu, said that he was detained for three days and two nights and was badly beaten during interrogations.
Chen Guangfu wife, Ren Zongju, also described how her son was beaten by Chinese authorities.
The interviews of Chen`s relatives were conducted by iSunAffairs.com, a Hong Kong-based magazine, and obtained by the BBC.
"They put me on a chair, bound my feet with iron chains and locked my hands with handcuffs behind my back. They pulled my hands upwards forcefully. Then they slapped me in the face," BBC quoted Chen Guangfu as saying.
The officials also told Chen Guangfu that his son, Chen Kegui, had wounded officials.
Chen Kegui has since been charged with intentional homicide, but his lawyer has said that he was acting in self-defence.
"The fate of all of the relatives and friends who helped Chen is now a real concern. Their crime, let`s remember, was to help a blind man who was being illegally confined in his own home to break free," Chen Guangfu said.
Prominent human rights lawyers have also said that they were prevented from defending Chen Kegui.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145