China issues orange alert against Typhoon Krosa
Beijing: China on Saturday upgraded its warning of high waves to orange level, the second-highest warning in its four-tier colour-coded weather system, as Typhoon Krosa strengthened to a strong typhoon.
Krosa, the 29th typhoon of the year and approaching China`s coast, will bring waves as high as nine metres in the northern part of the South China Sea from today noon till tomorrow noon, National Marine Environmental Forecasting Centre said.
The typhoon is expected to whip up peaks of up to 3.5 metres in the Taiwan Strait and along the coast of Guangdong Province, while waves up to three metres will be seen in the eastern coastal areas of Hainan, according to the centre.
The centre also warned of storm tides, with water levels expected to increase by as much as 80 centimetres in coastal areas of Guangdong and Fujian provinces from this morning to tomorrow morning.
The centre asked ships to be cautious. It also advised coastal authorities to take precautionary measures, carry out patrols and make sure dikes and fishery facilities are secure.
In addition, the National Meteorological Centre (NMC) issued a yellow alert for Krosa today.
China has a four-tier, colour-coded weather warning system, with red representing the most severe, followed by orange, yellow and blue.
As of now, Krosa`s centre was at the northern part of the South China Sea and about 605 kilometres east of the city of Wanning in southern China`s Hainan Province.
Local governments should take precautions against the typhoon while ships in areas on the route of Krosa should come back to ports, the NMC said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured