China: Japan N-plant leak contaminated sea water
Beijing: China claims that sea waters in the East China Sea have been found contaminated by the radioactive materials emanating from Japan`s crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant.
China`s State Oceanic Administration said the tests shown that the polluted area is far wider than the areas released by the Japanese government.
The possibility has not been ruled out that the nuclear pollution has flowed into Chinese waters, state-run CCTV reported adding that the announcement has attracted a wide array of concern.
Initial tests of samples collected from these areas show, presence of radioactive cesium-137 and -134, as well as strontium-90 in all water samples.
The latest monitoring results released by State Oceanic Administration on July 29 showed that the sea water samples collected from the area contained around 300 times the amount of radioactive cesium against the normal levels and 100 times the amount of strontium.
The department assured that the quality of the water has not been affected so far by the radiation.
From June to July 4 the administration sent a supervision team to look for radioactive materials in the east of Fukushima.
It monitored an area encompassing 2.52 lakh sq km collecting large amounts of waters. In April the Fukushima Daiichi plant had announced plans to discharge 11,500 tonnes of low level radioactive water.
Cesium-137 and strontium-90 both could last about 30 years making it more likely to enter the food chain and affect the health of consumers, a daily reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video