China protests over Dalai Lama`s Prague visit
Prague: China protested on Thursday against a Prague visit by Tibet`s exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, and Uighur human rights activist Rebiya Kadeer.
They arrived in the Czech capital to attend a conference on human rights and democracy in Asia.
Chen Jianjun, spokesman for the Chinese embassy, said the visits were aimed at "dividing the state and disrupting national unity".
"The Chinese side is resolutely against it," he said by telephone. "We clearly expressed our position to the Czech side."
The Czech foreign ministry countered that Kadeer was in the Czech Republic on a private visit.
"It is not possible to interpret it as a change of our traditional policy of one China, nor as an expression of support to potential separatist tendencies," the ministry said in a statement.
Neither the embassy nor the ministry would specify the nature of the Chinese complaint.
The Dalai Lama and Kadeer are to address a conference Friday promoting human rights and democracy in Asia, an event put on by former Czech president Vaclav Havel`s foundation Forum 2000.
It remains to be seen whether the Dalai Lama would meet with Czech government officials on Friday, foundation spokesman Filip Sebek said.
At a press conference Thursday, the 74-year-old Tibetan leader urged support for freedom and democracy activists in China. "We should provide them with encouragement," he said.
He said that Kadeer, whom China accused of stirring up bloody riots in Uighur-populated Xinjiang province in July, was much more moderate than other Uighur activists.
"She totally agrees (with) our way, including non-violence," he said. "My understanding is that she also prefers meaningful autonomy, not separation."
China has claimed that the Dalai Lama, living in exile in India since 1959, seeks independence for Tibet, an assertion he has repeatedly rejected. "It is in our own interest to remain in a big family," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?