Chinese daily flays West over Tibet
Beijing: A Chinese newspaper has hit out at the West for pulling up Beijing over self-immolation by Tibetans, saying Western critics needed to shed "stereotypes in their heads".
The China Daily editorial specifically targeted Baroness Ashton of the European Union and British foreign office minister Hugo Swire. Both voiced their concern about the human rights situation in Tibet.
"They are appealing to both the `Chinese authorities` and `Tibetans` and `their community and religious leaders` to play a role in stopping self-immolation," it said.
But, the daily noted, such "balance" was not fair "because it is based on a human rights picture in Tibet that stands facts on their head".
The editorial said the acts of self-immolation were not spontaneous acts of "protest against Chinese rule".
"It (is) Dharamsala that has been inciting such suicidal actions, in a covert but merciless manner that has been proved beyond doubt," it added, referring to the Indian town where the Dalai Lama is based.
"Unless Dharamsala exercises restraint, and shows true respect for the lives of believers in Tibetan Buddhism, there will be no end to such tragedies.”
"The real problem now is that both religious believers and their sympathisers, especially teenagers, have been brainwashed by Dharamsala-directed teachings.”
"The latter is using the tragic loss of life as a stepping stone to power, taking advantage of the Dalai Lama`s religious influence...”
"The miserable Tibet that Dharamsala has built exists only in the lies they spread and in the tragedies they create."
Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has lived in India since 1959 when he fled his homeland following the Chinese takeover of Tibet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves