Chinese leaders watch Peking Opera for New Year
Beijing: Top leaders of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on Sunday watched the Peking Opera at a gala here to celebrate the New Year.
Xi Jinping, the general secretary of CPC central committee, and Vice Premier Li Keqiang were among 1,000 people who attended the event at the National Centre for Performing Arts.
The programmes included excerpts from classical Peking Opera "The fourth son visits his mother" and a series of other traditional works, Xinhua reported.
The 200-year-old Peking Opera, which combines instrumental music, vocal performances, mime, dance and acrobatics, was regarded as a cultural treasure of China.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) has listed the Peking Opera as an intangible cultural heritage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi