Chinese leaders watch Peking Opera for New Year
Beijing: Top leaders of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on Sunday watched the Peking Opera at a gala here to celebrate the New Year.
Xi Jinping, the general secretary of CPC central committee, and Vice Premier Li Keqiang were among 1,000 people who attended the event at the National Centre for Performing Arts.
The programmes included excerpts from classical Peking Opera "The fourth son visits his mother" and a series of other traditional works, Xinhua reported.
The 200-year-old Peking Opera, which combines instrumental music, vocal performances, mime, dance and acrobatics, was regarded as a cultural treasure of China.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) has listed the Peking Opera as an intangible cultural heritage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened