Chinese media outlet uses racial slur at US envoy
Beijing: A major Chinese government news service used a racist slur to describe the departing American ambassador in a mean-spirited editorial today that drew widespread public condemnation in China.
The article which called Gary Locke a "rotten banana," a guide dog for the blind, and a plague reflected Chinese nationalists` acute loathing toward the first Chinese-American to have been Washington`s top envoy to Beijing.
Locke`s ethnic background particularly interested the Chinese government and people. Locke won public applause when he was seen carrying his own bag and flying economy class but he drew criticism from Beijing as his demeanour was an unwelcome contrast to Chinese officials` privileges and entitlements.
In Washington, top diplomat John Kerry paid tribute to Locke as "a champion of human dignity and a relentless advocate for America`s values." Asked about the China News Service commentary, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, "We are not going to dignify the name-calling in that editorial with a response."
In his years in Beijing, Locke oversaw the defusing of two delicate diplomatic episodes when a powerful police chief fled to a U.S. Consulate and later when a persecuted blind activist sought shelter in the embassy.
The Chinese public also credit him with making them realize the harm of the tiny pollutant PM2.5 and severity of China`s foul air by posting the embassy`s hourly readings of air quality.
Meanwhile, the editorials in Chinese state media turned from initial reservation to unfriendliness to the insolence of the final piece.
"I think it shows the unfriendliness and impoliteness by the Chinese government toward Gary Locke, and it is without the manners and dignity of a major power," legal scholar Hao Jinsong said. "It is unfitting of China`s status as a diplomatic power. As a Chinese, I am very angry and feel ashamed of it."
The editorial ‘Farewell, Gary Locke’ took direct aim at Locke`s identity as a third-generation Chinese-American, calling him a "banana" a racial term for Asians identifying with Western values despite their skin color.
"But when a banana sits out for long, its yellow peels will always rot, not only revealing its white core but also turning into the stomach-churning color of black," read the editorial.
The author Wang Ping likely a pseudonym slammed Locke`s portrayal as an official judicious with public funds but criticized him for being hypocritical as he retreated into his multimillion-dollar official residence and special-made, bullet-proof luxury vehicle.
Wang belittled Locke`s inability to speak his ancestral language and accused him of failing to understand China`s law but fanning "evil winds" in the ethnically sensitive regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says