Chinese military celebrates 86th anniversary
Beijing: China`s 2.3 million-strong PLA, the world`s largest standing Army, on Thursday marked its 86th anniversary showcasing some of its latest weaponry in a display evoking its growing military might.
From a revolutionary force under the leadership of the ruling Communist Party of China, the People`s Liberation Army emerged as a major military force and fought a number of wars with the country`s neighbours after 1949, including the 1962 war with India.
It is also one of the rare militaries which functioned under the Communist Party despite being a national Army.
With 2.3 million personnel, the PLA has risen from humble origins to a strong power corresponding with more than three decades of the country`s economic boom, state-run Xinhua news agency said in a commentary.
It is now equipped with a newly-commissioned aircraft carrier, while other advanced weaponry, including a J-20 stealth fighter jet and large military transport aircraft, are in development.
The increased military power of the PLA has stirred up unease among some of China`s neighbouring countries and the traditional power -- the United States, the commentary said.
The PLA Air Force has been opening up to the world`s media, in an attempt to allay concerns over China`s growing military might.
To mark the occasion, the PLA opened up its air defence brigade near Xi`an, in Western China`s Shaanxi Province and displayed some of its new generation aircraft.
National defence and the building of the Army is at a new starting point, facing precious opportunities and a complicated domestic and exterior security environment as well, the PLA Daily said today.
At a reception to celebrate the 86th anniversary yesterday, Minister of National Defence Chang Wanquan said China will firmly pursue a path of peaceful development and enhance military cooperation with foreign countries to contribute to world peace and development.
"China will unremittingly follow a national defence policy that is defensive in nature," Chang added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now