Chinese Railway Minister sacked from top party post
Beijing: China’s long-standing Railway
Minister Liu Zhijun was on Saturday sacked from a key party post
following investigations over "severe violation of
discipline", a media report said today.
58-year-old Liu, who was appointed as the Minister for
Railways in 2003, is under investigation over allegations of
severe violation of discipline, said Central Commission for
Discipline Inspection, the Communist Party of China`s
He has been removed from the post of the ministry`s
party chief, the Organization Department of the CPC Central
However, it is not clear yet whether he would continue
as Railway Minister.
The Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of
the ruling Communist Party of China did not provide further
details, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency.
In recent years, China`s railway has embarked on a
massive development of railway infrastructure, including the
establishment elaborate network of high speed network.
It has built the network linking the remote Tibet with
the mainland China.
Liu is the second top official to face probe in the
last few days. The Communist Party chief in south China`s
Guangdong province has also been detained and is being
investigated for corruption.
The provincial people`s procuratorate started quizzing
Luo Yinguo, party chief of Maoming city, for corruption
The CPC, which is celebrating its 90th anniversary
this year, has made anti-corruption campaign a major policy
initiative. Several top officials have been indicted last
year, some even given suspended death sentences.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till May 9
- Sushmita Sen - mother of two daughters - talks about her sexiest mantra
- AgustaWestland case: Hang me if anything found against me, says Congress leader Ahmed Patel
- Badminton Asia Championship: Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu advance to second round
- There has been no development in West Bengal, only TMC syndicate rules: Rahul Gandhi