Clashes in Libya; 12 killed, dozens injured
Tripoli: A Libyan security official says a conflict between two tribes in central Libya has left 12 dead and dozens injured.
The official says a fight between members of two tribes developed into an out all war between the heavily-armed groups in the town of Zlitan, 145 kilometres southeast of Tripoli.
It wasn`t immediately clear what sparked the hostilities.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press.
Following last year`s uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, citizens-turned-fighters seized large amounts of weapons and defeated the dictator`s forces. The country remains awash with arms, in the absence of central authority.
Meanwhile, divisions among Libyan tribes over whether to support the old regime or the revolution have left tensions simmering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report