Clashes in Libya; 12 killed, dozens injured
Tripoli: A Libyan security official says a conflict between two tribes in central Libya has left 12 dead and dozens injured.
The official says a fight between members of two tribes developed into an out all war between the heavily-armed groups in the town of Zlitan, 145 kilometres southeast of Tripoli.
It wasn`t immediately clear what sparked the hostilities.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press.
Following last year`s uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, citizens-turned-fighters seized large amounts of weapons and defeated the dictator`s forces. The country remains awash with arms, in the absence of central authority.
Meanwhile, divisions among Libyan tribes over whether to support the old regime or the revolution have left tensions simmering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!