Czech President`s security chief resigns over attack
Moscow: The head of security for Czech President Vaclav Klaus has resigned after his subordinates failed to prevent an "assassination" attempt on the President, Czech media report said.
The Ceske Noviny publication said a 26-year-old man, clad in camouflage fatigues, Friday forced his way through a crowd of people greeting Klaus at a bridge-opening ceremony in Chrastava, and shot at the President with a replica airsoft gun.
Klaus was taken to hospital and received treatment for minor bruises. He later criticised his bodyguards for failing to handle the situation appropriately.
Head of security Jiri Sklenka said: "Although I was not present at the place (of the incident) and I personally did not command the measures in Chrastava, after seeing the incident, I feel personal responsibility for the conduct of my subordinates, irrespective of whether they could prevent the incident or could not."
Sklenka said he decided to step down after seeing the footage of the incident broadcast by a television station.
The attacker, identified as Czech citizen Pavel Ondrous, was arrested and charged with hooliganism. He faces up to two years in prison.
Ondrous said he carried out the attack to attract the government`s attention to the concerns of ordinary people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand