Czech President`s security chief resigns over attack
Moscow: The head of security for Czech President Vaclav Klaus has resigned after his subordinates failed to prevent an "assassination" attempt on the President, Czech media report said.
The Ceske Noviny publication said a 26-year-old man, clad in camouflage fatigues, Friday forced his way through a crowd of people greeting Klaus at a bridge-opening ceremony in Chrastava, and shot at the President with a replica airsoft gun.
Klaus was taken to hospital and received treatment for minor bruises. He later criticised his bodyguards for failing to handle the situation appropriately.
Head of security Jiri Sklenka said: "Although I was not present at the place (of the incident) and I personally did not command the measures in Chrastava, after seeing the incident, I feel personal responsibility for the conduct of my subordinates, irrespective of whether they could prevent the incident or could not."
Sklenka said he decided to step down after seeing the footage of the incident broadcast by a television station.
The attacker, identified as Czech citizen Pavel Ondrous, was arrested and charged with hooliganism. He faces up to two years in prison.
Ondrous said he carried out the attack to attract the government`s attention to the concerns of ordinary people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India