Dalai Lama trying to split the country: China
Beijing: Slamming the Dalai Lama for his attempts to "split China", Beijing on Friday said it would resolutely oppose his "separatist activities" in any country.
Reacting to reports of a South African court questioning the delay in visa to the Tibetan spiritual leader, Chinese Foreign Ministry`s spokesman Hong Lei said for China the Dalai Lama is a political exile.
Hong said China would continue to oppose the Dalai Lama`s "separatist activities in whatever capacity and in whatever name in any country".
"I would like to once again state that the Dalai Lama is a political exile that has long been engaged in activities to split China under the guise of religion," he told a media briefing here today.
"Dalai Lama has never ceased activities to seek Tibet`s independence," he said.
The Dalai Lama was invited to South Africa to deliver a lecture at the 80th birthday celebrations of anti-apartheid activist Desmond Tutu on October 4 last year but his application for a visa did not get any response from authorities on time.
The delay led him to cancel his trip while an outraged Tutu had lashed out at the government calling it worse than the apartheid-era dispensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!