Dalai Lama trying to split the country: China
Beijing: Slamming the Dalai Lama for his attempts to "split China", Beijing on Friday said it would resolutely oppose his "separatist activities" in any country.
Reacting to reports of a South African court questioning the delay in visa to the Tibetan spiritual leader, Chinese Foreign Ministry`s spokesman Hong Lei said for China the Dalai Lama is a political exile.
Hong said China would continue to oppose the Dalai Lama`s "separatist activities in whatever capacity and in whatever name in any country".
"I would like to once again state that the Dalai Lama is a political exile that has long been engaged in activities to split China under the guise of religion," he told a media briefing here today.
"Dalai Lama has never ceased activities to seek Tibet`s independence," he said.
The Dalai Lama was invited to South Africa to deliver a lecture at the 80th birthday celebrations of anti-apartheid activist Desmond Tutu on October 4 last year but his application for a visa did not get any response from authorities on time.
The delay led him to cancel his trip while an outraged Tutu had lashed out at the government calling it worse than the apartheid-era dispensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sister aka stylist Rhea Kapoor speaks about Sonam's fashion secrets
- Overhaul Indian sports bodies and de-link from Political patronage to overcome Rio fiasco: CPI-M
- Fawad Khan has short yet pivotal role in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil': Karan Johar
- Looks like it takes a lot of men to doll up Sunny Leone- See pic
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health