David Petraeus’ mistress Broadwell ‘won’t be charged with cyberstalking`
Washington: The Justice Department has decided not to charge David Petraeus’ mistress, Paula Broadwell, with cyberstalking as part of its investigation into an email scandal that led to the resignation of the CIA director.
Broadwell’s lawyer, Robert Muse, said that a letter from U.S. Attorney Robert O`Neill that said no federal charges will be brought in Florida related to ‘alleged acts of cyberstalking’.
According to the New York Daily News, Petraeus resigned as CIA director in November after acknowledging the extramarital affair, which was exposed after Broadwell emailed Tampa socialite Jill Kelley, allegedly warning Kelley to stay away from Petraeus and General John Allen, the U.S. commander in Afghanistan.
Kelley reported the emails to the FBI, triggering an investigation that led the FBI to Kelley`s emails to the married Allen, who is now under investigation by the Pentagon`s inspector general, the report said.
"The decision on whether to bring a prosecution is always a serious matter, and one that should never be undertaken without the most thoughtful deliberation," said Justice Department spokesman William C. Daniels.
"After applying relevant case law to the particular facts of this case, the United States Attorney`s Office for the Middle District of Florida has decided not to pursue a federal case regarding the alleged acts of ``cyberstalking`` involving Paula Broadwell," he added.
A spokesman for Broadwell said that she and her family are "pleased with this decision and pleased that this is resolved."
According to the report, her attorney has not been notified that she is the subject or target of any other Justice Department investigation.
Broadwell, Petraeus`s biographer and a reserve Army officer, is still being investigated by the Pentagon for allegedly mishandling classified information. FBI investigators found a "substantial amount" of material marked classified at her home, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM