Death toll in boat accident off Malaysia rises to four
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian maritime authorities found two more bodies floating in the sea on Wednesday after a boat carrying illegal Indonesian migrants sank, raising the confirmed death toll to four with seven still missing.
The fibreglass boat, believed to be carrying 72 people, capsized late Monday off the southern state of Johor.
The Indonesians on board were trying to return home to celebrate the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
A total of 61 including the two boatmen were rescued.
Two more bodies -- both men -- were found in the water on today, said Aminuddin Abdul Rashid, an official with the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency.
He said the search for the seven still missing would continue.
The boat, heading to Indonesia`s Batam island, sank while being pursued by a maritime patrol vessel.
Aminuddin had said the boat rammed into the agency`s vessel when trying to escape, causing it to be damaged.
Boat accidents off Malaysia are common as migrants from Indonesia and other poorer regional countries flock to the relatively affluent Southeast Asian nation in search of work.
An estimated two million foreigners are believed to be in the country without valid papers, with many sneaking in and out along the long coastline.
Malaysian authorities have stepped up patrols this month as many Indonesians seek to return to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, Islam`s biggest festival, which marks the end of the fasting month.
More than a dozen Indonesians died and about two dozen others went missing last month in two boat accidents in rough weather off Malaysia`s west coast.
Both Malaysia and Indonesia are Muslim-majority countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back