Death toll in explosion in fireworks factory climbs to 19
Beijing: The death toll in an explosion at a
fireworks factory in northeast China`s Heilongjiang province has risen to 19, with five missing and 153 others injured, local authorities said Tuesday.
More than 2,000 residents were evacuated after the
explosion shattered windows within a km radius and damaged
iron fences standing 100 meters away yesterday.
The shock wave of the explosion was felt up to five km
away, official Xinhua news agency reported.
The fire was brought under control after a helicopter
dumped water on the blaze, but some fireworks were still
exploding till late yesterday, according to officials.
"Fire trucks are hosing water onto nearby storehouses
to prevent another explosion," said Xu Zhaojun, Party chief of
More than 1,700 people and 62 fire trucks were deployed
to extinguish the fire and to search for the survivors, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fans bamboozled! John Cena posts Virat Kohli's picture on official instagram account, no reason cited
- India receives $5.34 billion FDI in April-May
- Tom Hiddleston ''supporting'' Taylor Swift in her feud with Kimye Kardashian
- SBI associates' staff will not be affected by merger: Arun Jaitley
- New study to explore sexual differences in social stress