Dutch pedophile case led to 33 arrests worldwide
Amsterdam: Dutch prosecutors say police have arrested 33 suspected child molesters worldwide, including 8 in the United States, using information gathered from the computers of a pedophile in Amsterdam who abused dozens of babies and toddlers.
Robert Mikelsons, a Latvian-born Dutch citizen, was sentenced to 18 years in prison on May 21. Dutch prosecutors said today Mikelsons provided thousands of leads, resulting in 13 arrests in the Netherlands, eight in the US, six in Canada, four in Britain, and one each in Germany and Sweden. John Morton, who heads the investigative arm of the US Department of Homeland Security, praised the cooperation, saying it saved 138 children from ongoing abuse.
Mikelsons was himself caught in 2010 on a tip from US authorities investigating a Massachusetts man who faces sentencing next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal