Easter’s holy fire ritual echoes with drumbeats in Jerusalem
Jerusalem: The sound of drumbeats and hymns
and light from thousands of candles and torches filled
Christianity`s holiest shrine as Orthodox faithful celebrated
Easter Week`s holy fire ritual.
According to Christian belief, Jesus was crucified and
buried at the site in Jerusalem`s Old City where the Church of
the Holy Sepulcher now stands.
Orthodox Christians believe a holy fire appears
spontaneously from Jesus` tomb on the day before the Orthodox
Easter. The fire is seen a message that Jesus has not
forgotten his followers.
The Greek Orthodox Patriarch in the Holy Land descended
today with other Orthodox clergy into the tomb.
After the flame appeared there, he passed it to believers
inside the church`s main hall, who rushed to light their own
candles and torches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!