Easter’s holy fire ritual echoes with drumbeats in Jerusalem
Jerusalem: The sound of drumbeats and hymns
and light from thousands of candles and torches filled
Christianity`s holiest shrine as Orthodox faithful celebrated
Easter Week`s holy fire ritual.
According to Christian belief, Jesus was crucified and
buried at the site in Jerusalem`s Old City where the Church of
the Holy Sepulcher now stands.
Orthodox Christians believe a holy fire appears
spontaneously from Jesus` tomb on the day before the Orthodox
Easter. The fire is seen a message that Jesus has not
forgotten his followers.
The Greek Orthodox Patriarch in the Holy Land descended
today with other Orthodox clergy into the tomb.
After the flame appeared there, he passed it to believers
inside the church`s main hall, who rushed to light their own
candles and torches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured