Edward Snowden`s relatives to visit Russia: Lawyer
Moscow: Relatives of Edward Snowden may visit Russia soon to meet the fugitive US intelligence whistleblower, his lawyer has said.
"I`ve sent an invitation, but he (Snowden`s father Lon) has his plans. We talk with him nearly everyday now," Xinhua Tuesday quoted Snowden`s lawyer Anatoly Kucherena as telling Russia Today television.
Snowden`s mother and grandparents, he said, might also come to Russia.
"I won`t tell you the date for the time being," the Interfax news agency quoted him as saying.
"He (Snowden) will decide himself how to act and what to do within the framework of his human rights activities," he said.
The lawyer also said Snowden was currently learning about Russian culture.
"He is walking, he can travel, and he is travelling, and therefore he is keen on learning our history," said Kucherena.
Snowden faces espionage charges in the US after disclosing a classified intelligence surveillance project code-named PRISM.
Russia granted him asylum Aug 1 amid calls by Washington to return him for a trial, which prompted US President Barack Obama to drop a scheduled bilateral summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'