Egypt kung fu champion `stripped of gold medal` for supporting Morsi
London: A kung fu champion in Egypt has been stripped of a gold medal for showing support for ousted President Mohamed Morsi.
Mohammed Youssef has also been banned from representing his country.
Youssef was photographed at a tournament in Russia wearing a T-shirt with a symbol showing solidarity with pro-Morsi protesters.
Egypt`s government has cracked down on supporters of Morsi after he was deposed in July, the BBC reports.
According to the report, Youssef`s brother Hammam said that the athlete was sent home early from the contest and interrogated on arrival.
The gold medal he had won was also confiscated. It is unclear if the ban will be permanent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter