Egypt`s constitutional assembly case referred to Supreme court
Cairo: The process of framing Egypt`s new Constitution suffered a setback on Tuesday with an Administrative Court referring to the superior court a case that sought the dissolution of Islamist-dominated constituent assembly.
The Administrative Court in Cairo referred the law regulating the 100-member Constituent Assembly to the Supreme Constitutional Court.
The Assembly is being challenged for the process with which its members were chosen.
However, Muslim Brotherhood lawyer Abdel Moneim Abdel Maqsoud described the Administrative Court`s decision as "positive," saying it used its judicial powers and that the move will enable the assembly to finish its works and introduce the Constitution to the people.
He said that the Supreme Constitutional Court needs at least two months to rule on the case, citing the law that obliges it to consider the cases 45 days after its referral.
The court is overseeing 48 lawsuits demanding the dissolution of the Constituent Assembly.
Plaintiffs claim that the assembly failed to proportionately represent various social sectors, and violated the interim Constitution by including MPs as members.
The move could further stoke tensions between Islamists and the Constitutional Court. The tensions between both sides flared after court in June decided to dissolve the Islamist-dominated People`s Assembly.
It is the second Constituent Assembly to be formed after the uprising that toppled president Mubarak last year. The first Islamist-dominated panel was dissolved in April for failing to represent all segments of society.
The panel released a draft constitution earlier this month that was slammed by human rights groups as failing to secure key freedoms.
Some articles, including those defining the powers of the judiciary and the role of the army, have not been made available to the public.
Last week, Egypt?s highest court criticised the panel, saying some of its proposals put the court back under the authority of the president.
The new constitution is to replace a 1971 charter suspended by the military, which took power when Mubarak was ousted in February last year.
The law related to Constituent Assembly is based on the Constitutional Declaration that has governed the country since the fall of former President Hosni Mubarak.
The People`s Assembly had approved the law on the same day of its formation two days before Parliament was dissolved.
However, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces refused to pass the law.
After decreeing the return of the People`s Assembly, President Mohamed Morsy approved the stalled law to prevent the dissolution of the Constituent Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared