Egypt`s ElBaradei enters politics with new party
Cairo: Mohamed ElBaradei, former head of the UN nuclear agency, has launched a new political party that he says aims to be a platform for Egypt`s revolutionaries.
The new party called `Constitution Party` seeks to represent the revolutionary forces that have been sidelined and marginalised since the 25 January uprising last year, ElBaradei said at a press conference in downtown Cairo today.
ElBaradei, seen as one of the forces that fuelled the uprising that toppled long-standing leader Hosni Mubarak, said the party would take some years to become Egypt`s number one political party.
"This is a project for the future," he said, adding "this party will end up including the 20 million that made the revolution, and they`ll achieve the revolution`s demands together."
The Nobel laureate said his party aims to unite Egyptians and move forward to achieve the demands of the revolution, which have been forgotten in the troubled transitional period.
Following the ouster of the former president, Egypt entered a transition period in which political reform has been stagnant and the ruling regime`s hated repressive policies have remained in place.
ElBaradei, one-time presidential hopeful, said one proof that the transition period has been problematic is the Parliament, which he describes as not a representative of all Egyptians.
Islamists control nearly two thirds of the Parliament`s two chambers. Despite the fact that Islamists initially refused to take part in the uprising called for by secular forces on 25 January 2011, they appear to be the main beneficiaries of Mubarak`s ouster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family