Egypt`s president vows to retake control of Sinai
Cairo/Jerusalem: Hours after `jihadists` gunmen killed 16 Egyptian guards at a border cheek-post, the country`s Islamist President Mohammed Mursi today ordered the army to retake full control of the lawless Sinai.
After chairing an emergency meeting of Egypt`s top military and intelligence brass, Mursi said he had ordered the army to take "full control of the Sinai", which has become hotbed of `jihadists` and other lawless elements released recently under a mass amnesty.
The 1997 Peace Treaty between Israel and Egypt restricts number of Egyptian troops in Sinai.
Egyptian security sources said the five gunmen dressed up in Bedouin attire drove up to a border checkpoint between Egypt and the West Bank and opened indiscriminate fire,leaving 16 border guards dead.
But in a dramatic turn of events, the five gunmen involved in the attack were reported killed hours later near the Israeli border, an Israeli army spokesman said.
Israeli tanks and helicopters attacked and shot dead the `jihadists` as they attempted to cross into Israel. The spokesman said two armoured vehicles were seized one of which exploded.
"The bodies of the five gunmen have been found by the Israeli army," the spokesman said.
The Israeli spokesman said that swift action by their forces came as they were ready for the attackers after being tipped off Shin Bet (Israeli intelligence agency).
He said the gunmen were "members of the global jihad based in Sinai, which has become a hotbed of international terrorism".
The official MENA news agency also described the attackers as `jihadists` from the Hamas-controlled Gaza strip.
Eyewitnesses said the attack came as the soldiers at the checkpoint were breaking their Ramadan fast. They said the soldiers were caught totally off guard and had no chance to retaliate.
Hundreds of Islamists were released under a general amnesty just two weeks ago in a first major decision by the new President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok