Egypt`s SC to rule on disenfranchisement law today
Cairo: In view of an expected ruling on the disenfranchisement law on Thursday, a number of political movements in Egypt have called for marches this morning to the Supreme Constitutional Court (SCC) in Cairo suburb of Maadi.
The SCC is anticipated to rule on the constitutionality of the Political Isolation Law, which would disqualify former prime minister Ahmed Shafiq from the presidential runoff election on June 16 and 17, if applied. The court would also consider the validity of the parliamentary polls.
The April 6 Youth Movement has called on revolutionary groups and citizens to take part in a march, demanding the application of the Political Isolation Law on all former regime members.
"The invitation issued by the movement had responses from dozens of activists and a number of political and revolutionary forces, including the Freedom and Justice Party, the April 6 Youth Movement Democratic Front and the Kefaya movement," Abdallah Nofal, a member of the communications committee for the April 6 Youth Movement, said.
"We will all join together tomorrow (Thursday) before the Supreme Constitutional Court. Our sit-in, starting tonight, (Wednesday), will be followed by a peaceful protest in conjunction with the hearing of the case," he said.
"The goal of the march is to express the public demand to enforce the isolation law, and to apply it to those who corrupted political life, including Ahmed Shafiq himself, who was a pillar of the former regime but was not removed. He kept exercising his constitutional and political rights to the point that he ran for the presidency," said Nofal.
Nofal added that any action aimed at escalation is not on the table right now, saying that "the political bureau of the movement will hold a meeting tomorrow, directly after the verdict, to determine (the movement`s) reaction”.
The Presidential Elections Commission referred the isolation law to the Supreme Constitutional Court to judge its constitutionality. If it is not passed, protestors intend to take to the streets in objection. If it is passed and Shafiq is removed, the Presidential Elections will be repeated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!