Einstein`s visa papers turn up 80 years later
London: Albert Einstein`s immigration
papers have turned up 80 years after he dramatically fled to
Britain from Nazi Germany, a media report said.
UK border chiefs at Heathrow airport were left stunned
by the discovery of the landing card which marks the legendary
German-born scientist`s arrival at Dover in Britain on May 26,
1933, the `Daily Mail` reported.
Einstein was Jewish and escaped to England with a
bounty on his head as an enemy of Adolf Hitler`s regime.
According to the smudged document, the "Father
of Modern Physics" arrived at Dover from Ostende in Belgium.
He describes his occupation as a professor and being of Swiss
nationality. On the reverse, he states to immigration officers
he is bound for Oxford.
And now the major historical find will go on display
later this month in Liverpool`s Merseyside Maritime Museum
after it was snapped up by curators.
Assistant curator Lucy Gardner said: "We didn`t know
this landing card ever existed until we visited UK Border
Agency officers at Heathrow. We were keen on acquiring any
documents relating to immigration but were stunned to find
paperwork relating to such a prominent figure as Einstein.
"What`s remarkable is that the landing card bears his
signature, has his profession as `professor` and lists his
nationality at Swiss. This shows how Einstein had renounced
his German citizenship only weeks earlier in angry reaction to
The Nobel Prize winner held the esteemed position of
professor at the Prussian Academy of Science in Berlin from
1914. But when Hitler became Chancellor of Germany in 1933
Jewish people were persecuted.
Einstein was kept under armed protection while
in England in 1933, but eventually settled in America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!