Eleven killed in northern Kenya ethnic clashes
Nairobi: At least 11 people have been killed and several others wounded in fighting between rival clans in Wajir in Kenya`s remote northeast, police said Friday.
The fighting broke out on Thursday when the attackers raided a settlement of the local Degodia clan. Kenyan media reports said the attack was believed to have been carried out by a militia from the rival Garre clan.
"We are told the attackers raided the village and they started shooting randomly. They also torched several houses. I can confirm 11 people dead and seven wounded," police spokeswoman Zipporah Mboroki told AFP.
"Some of the victims were thrown into a trench and burnt to death," she added.
Reports said the attack was as revenge for the deaths of three men killed by bandits believed to be from the rival Degodia clan, and local media put the death toll at as high as 18.
Officials said security has been tightened in the area, one of Kenya`s poorest regions. The region is situated close to the border with war-torn Somalia and awash with guns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price