EU commits USD 525 million more in aid for Syria
Brussels: The European Union is committing USD 525 million more in aid to deal with the humanitarian crisis in and around Syria.
Today`s announcement came on the eve of a humanitarian conference in Geneva and EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said that "it is vital that donors step up to the plate."
More than 70,000 people have been killed in the more than 2-year-old Syrian conflict that has created a refugee flow of some 1.6 million people. The EU had already committed USD 1.1 billion in humanitarian aid.
EU nations have imposed a slew of punitive measures on the regime of President Bashar Assad and have opened the way to start sending arms to the moderate opposition forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion