EU commits USD 525 million more in aid for Syria
Brussels: The European Union is committing USD 525 million more in aid to deal with the humanitarian crisis in and around Syria.
Today`s announcement came on the eve of a humanitarian conference in Geneva and EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said that "it is vital that donors step up to the plate."
More than 70,000 people have been killed in the more than 2-year-old Syrian conflict that has created a refugee flow of some 1.6 million people. The EU had already committed USD 1.1 billion in humanitarian aid.
EU nations have imposed a slew of punitive measures on the regime of President Bashar Assad and have opened the way to start sending arms to the moderate opposition forces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?