EU foreign ministers seek solution on Syria arms
Brussels: The European Union foreign affairs ministers will debate whether to ease sanctions against Syria to allow for weapons shipments to rebels fighting the regime of Syria`s President Bashar Assad.
Britain is the most outspoken proponent of nixing the arms embargo but faces opposition from some members that feel more we
Assad has been using extensive firepower against lightly armed rebel factions.
More than 70,000 people have died since the uprising against Assad`s regime erupted in March 2011.
Meanwhile, both sides have agreed in principle to enter direct talks in Geneva next month.
apons would only increase the killings and strangle hope for a negotiated settlement, Dutch Minister Frans Timmermans said.
The date, agenda and list of participants for the conference remain unclear, and wide gaps persist about its objectives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt