EU foreign ministers seek solution on Syria arms
Brussels: The European Union foreign affairs ministers will debate whether to ease sanctions against Syria to allow for weapons shipments to rebels fighting the regime of Syria`s President Bashar Assad.
Britain is the most outspoken proponent of nixing the arms embargo but faces opposition from some members that feel more we
Assad has been using extensive firepower against lightly armed rebel factions.
More than 70,000 people have died since the uprising against Assad`s regime erupted in March 2011.
Meanwhile, both sides have agreed in principle to enter direct talks in Geneva next month.
apons would only increase the killings and strangle hope for a negotiated settlement, Dutch Minister Frans Timmermans said.
The date, agenda and list of participants for the conference remain unclear, and wide gaps persist about its objectives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees