Father of Germany`s Angela Merkel dies at 85
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s father, a Protestant pastor who moved with his family to communist East Germany in the 1950s, has died. He was 85.
The government said that Horst Kasner passed away on Friday. It didn`t give further details but said the chancellor had cancelled her appointments for Saturday — when she was due to appear at a local election rally of her conservative Christian Democrats in northeastern Germany.
Merkel was born in the West German city of Hamburg in 1954. Shortly afterward, Kasner took a pastoral post in the communist east.
In 1957, Kasner moved the family to Templin, a small town 50 miles (80 kilometres) north of Berlin, where he trained new clergy in the atheist state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL