Father of Germany`s Angela Merkel dies at 85
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s father, a Protestant pastor who moved with his family to communist East Germany in the 1950s, has died. He was 85.
The government said that Horst Kasner passed away on Friday. It didn`t give further details but said the chancellor had cancelled her appointments for Saturday — when she was due to appear at a local election rally of her conservative Christian Democrats in northeastern Germany.
Merkel was born in the West German city of Hamburg in 1954. Shortly afterward, Kasner took a pastoral post in the communist east.
In 1957, Kasner moved the family to Templin, a small town 50 miles (80 kilometres) north of Berlin, where he trained new clergy in the atheist state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan