Fees hike leads to sharp decline in students’ admission rates in British universities
London: The number of students admitted to British universities last year dropped by as much as 40 percent amid increasing tuition fees.
Figures showed that overall students who took admission in England, where fees were the highest, slumped by 51,000 in just 12 months.
According to the Telegraph, the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) said that the ‘substantial’ 13 percent decline in numbers nationally was directly associated to the rise in the cost of a degree.
But data published for the first time showed that some universities suffered significantly shaper declines.
Enrolments at the capital’s biggest higher education institution London Metropolitan University dropped by more than 3,000 or 43 percent compared with 2011, the report said.
It also emerged that a number of members of the elite Russell Group, which represents Britain’s most sought-after institutions, saw a decline in admission rates.
According to the report, 10 out of 24 members, including Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Southampton, admitted fewer students in 2012 than in 2011, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city