First individual Chinese tourists arrive in Taiwan
Taipei: The first individual Chinese tourists have begun arriving in Taiwan amid steadily warming ties between the two sides.
Dozens arrived on Tuesday, underscoring Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou`s continuing efforts to forge closer China relations, the centrepiece of his three-year-old administration.
Previously, Chinese tourists could only travel to Taiwan in supervised groups.
Last year, 1.6 million Chinese tourists visited the island.
Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949. Beijing continues to claim Taiwan as its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Dinesh Karthik sues automobile designer Dilip Chhabria: Report