Five jailed in UK for inventing movie in tax scam
London: Five people have been jailed in Britain for pretending to make a Hollywood movie in a scam to defraud tax authorities of millions of pounds.
The fraudsters were convicted earlier this month of attempting to bilk the government of 2.8 million pounds (USD 4.2 million) in a plot reminiscent of the Academy Award-winning hit "Argo" but without that movie`s heroic hostage rescue.
Prosecutors said the fraudsters claimed to be producing a made-in-Britain movie with unnamed A-list actors and a 19 million-pound budget. But officials say the project was a sham to claim back millions in taxes.
Bashar Al-Issa, described as the leader of the fraud, was jailedtoday for six and a half years. The others were sentenced to around four years each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you