Five jailed in UK for inventing movie in tax scam
London: Five people have been jailed in Britain for pretending to make a Hollywood movie in a scam to defraud tax authorities of millions of pounds.
The fraudsters were convicted earlier this month of attempting to bilk the government of 2.8 million pounds (USD 4.2 million) in a plot reminiscent of the Academy Award-winning hit "Argo" but without that movie`s heroic hostage rescue.
Prosecutors said the fraudsters claimed to be producing a made-in-Britain movie with unnamed A-list actors and a 19 million-pound budget. But officials say the project was a sham to claim back millions in taxes.
Bashar Al-Issa, described as the leader of the fraud, was jailedtoday for six and a half years. The others were sentenced to around four years each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly