Flotilla raid was `cause for war`: Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s Prime Minister has said Israel`s raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla last year was "cause for war" but that his country showed "patience" and refrained from taking any action.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Al-Jazeera television in a recent interview that the Israeli attack that killed nine activists occurred in international waters and was therefore "unlawful”. His comments were carried by Turkey`s state-run Anatolia news agency late Sunday.
Erdogan said, "It is a cause for war, but we decided to act in line with Turkey`s grandeur and showed patience."
Israel insists its naval commandos acted in self-defence after being attacked by some of the activists.
A UN report into the raid said Israel`s naval blockade was legitimate but that it used "excessive and unreasonable" force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- M&M incorporates Mahindra Airways as wholly-owned subsidiary
- Airtel proposes Rs 30 crore annual package to Sunil Mittal
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies