Flotilla raid was `cause for war`: Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s Prime Minister has said Israel`s raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla last year was "cause for war" but that his country showed "patience" and refrained from taking any action.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Al-Jazeera television in a recent interview that the Israeli attack that killed nine activists occurred in international waters and was therefore "unlawful”. His comments were carried by Turkey`s state-run Anatolia news agency late Sunday.
Erdogan said, "It is a cause for war, but we decided to act in line with Turkey`s grandeur and showed patience."
Israel insists its naval commandos acted in self-defence after being attacked by some of the activists.
A UN report into the raid said Israel`s naval blockade was legitimate but that it used "excessive and unreasonable" force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you