Flotilla raid was `cause for war`: Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s Prime Minister has said Israel`s raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla last year was "cause for war" but that his country showed "patience" and refrained from taking any action.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Al-Jazeera television in a recent interview that the Israeli attack that killed nine activists occurred in international waters and was therefore "unlawful”. His comments were carried by Turkey`s state-run Anatolia news agency late Sunday.
Erdogan said, "It is a cause for war, but we decided to act in line with Turkey`s grandeur and showed patience."
Israel insists its naval commandos acted in self-defence after being attacked by some of the activists.
A UN report into the raid said Israel`s naval blockade was legitimate but that it used "excessive and unreasonable" force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway