Former Iran hostage crisis spokeswoman named as VP
Tehran: Iranian President Hasan Rouhani has given a vice-presidency post to an environmental expert who once served as a spokeswoman for the hostage-takers at the US Embassy after the 1979 Islamic Revolution, an adviser said.
The selection of Masoomeh Ebtekar as vice president for environmental affairs marks the second woman named to Rouhani`s panel of vice presidents.
Ebtekar was also vice president under reformist President Mohammad Khatami from 1997-2005.
Ebteker, who is fluent in English, was a main spokeswoman during the 444-day hostage standoff. She later served on the Tehran Municipal Council and became a respected scholar in environmental studies.
The official IRNA news agency also said Rouhani today named a former defense minister, Adm Ali Shamkhani, to lead the Supreme National Security Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’