Four foreigners kidnapped by pirates in Nigeria
Lagos: Two Nigerian Navy officers were killed and four foreigners -- a Malaysian, an Iranian, a Thai and an Indonesian -- were Saturday taken hostage by suspected pirates, Xinhua reported.
The officers were killed in an attack by gunmen on a ship in southeast Rivers state, said navy spokesperson Commodore Kabir Aliyu.
He said the navy has sent warships and helicopters for a rescue mission.
Nigeria, Africa`s largest oil producer, has recorded a total of 293 cases of sea robbery and pirate attacks between 2003 and 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand