Fourth suspect in Canadian terror plot free on bail
Ottawa: An Ottawa man detained on assault charges while under surveillance by federal police probing an alleged terror plot was released on bail on Friday.
Aswo Peshdary, 20, was arrested by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police anti-terrorism unit on August 27. He was later charged by the Ottawa police with assault and uttering threats, but is not facing any charges related to the probe.
A judge yesterday ordered the call centre employee`s release on USD 8,000 bail paid for by his sister and father, on the condition that he stay away from his wife, not own any weapons and not apply for a passport.
Three others accused of being part of a "domestic terrorist group operating in Canada" had previously been arrested in police raids on their suburban homes in Ottawa and London, Ontario.
The trio was charged under Canada`s Anti-Terrorism Act with conspiracy, possessing materials for explosives and making property or financial services available to a terrorist group.
One of the suspects is also believed to be a member of an unnamed terror group tied to the war in Afghanistan.
Federal police said they had executed a search warrant in Ottawa and arrested Peshdary "as part of our standard operating procedures in the course of the search" linked to the terror investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...