France, Germany say US bugging of EU offices `totally unacceptable`
London: France and Germany have asked the United States to come clean over reports that its top intelligence services have been spying on key European Union offices.
A report in Germany`s Der Spiegel magazine said European Union offices in the US and Europe had been bugged by the National Security Agency (NSA).
The magazine claimed that other `targets` included the French, Italian and Greek embassies in the US.
According to the BBC, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is said to be the source of the leaks.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said that if the allegations carried by the magazine were confirmed, such activities by the US would be `totally unacceptable`.
Germany`s Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said the alleged US behaviour was reminiscent of the Cold War.
He added that it is beyond comprehension that the United States saw Europeans as its enemies.
European Parliament President, Martin Schulz, said he was deeply worried and shocked by the allegations, adding that such spying could have a severe impact on ties between the EU and the US, the report said.
The US government has so far made no public comments on the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM