France`s President Hollande on sales trip to China
Beijing: French President Francois Hollande arrived in Beijing on Thursday on a trip aimed at boosting exports to China, with hopes that deals can be reached over the sale of aircraft and nuclear power.
Hollande, who will be the first Western leader to be received in the Chinese capital by new President Xi Jinping, is accompanied by a planeload of businessmen hoping to increase their share of the fruits of China`s economic growth.
France accounts for just 1.3 percent of China`s foreign trade compared with around five percent for Germany, and a trade deficit with China of EUR 26 billion (USD 34 billion) last year is seen in Paris as unsustainable.
But reversing this will not be easy for a country that lacks Germany`s strength in the production of capital goods or export-driven business culture.
Aides to Hollande believe the Chinese yuan is seriously undervalued and expect the issue to be raised during his two-day visit, albeit without much hope of significant progress.
In industrial terms, France`s highest value cards are its share in Airbus and its nuclear expertise, and officials anticipate Hollande`s visit bringing progress on both fronts.
Hopes are high that French nuclear giant Areva and the Chinese energy group CNNC will sign letters of intent on the construction of a nuclear waste treatment facility, while Airbus is hoping to tie down some orders from Chinese airlines.
Carmaker Renault hopes to progress negotiations on a proposed factory at Wuhan that would produce 150,000 vehicles per year.
France is also pushing for greater access to the Chinese market for its charcuterie, or cooked pork meat, producers.
Hollande touched down in Beijing around 9:50 am (0150 GMT) Thursday, a news agency’s photographer said.
The French President is expected to have three meetings with Xi, including a state banquet on Thursday and a more intimate lunch on Friday along with their respective partners, Valerie Trierweiler and Peng Liyuan.
For Hollande, beset by economic woes and the aftermath of a corruption scandal that forced his budget minister to resign, the trip is a break from domestic troubles.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case