G4S guard charged in Olympic bomb hoax case
London: Beleaguered UK security firm G4S is facing further embarrassment after it emerged that one of its guards had been charged with making a bomb threat at an Olympic venue.
Police at the ExCel Centre held Thomas Hall last month after allegedly putting up a message about a bomb a week before the Olympics opening ceremony.
The student was arrested on July 20 on suspicion of communicating a bomb hoax and criminal damage at the Olympic venue, which is hosting boxing, fencing, judo, taekwondo, table tennis, weightlifting, and wrestling events.
Hall, who comes from Norwich, was recruited to work for G4S by Bridging the Gap, a scheme to recruit 3,300 students as part of the security workforce, was later remanded into custody after being charged by police.
Hall will appear before Thames Magistrates Court later this month.
“Thomas Hall, 20, from Norwich, appeared in custody at Thames Magistrates` Court on Monday 23 July charged with communicating a bomb hoax contrary to Section 51 of the Criminal Law Act 1977,” The Daily Mail quoted a Metropolitan Police spokesman, as saying.
“He was remanded in custody to reappear there on 20 August for a committal hearing,” the spokesman added.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for G4S said: “Delivering a safe and secure Games is everyone`s number 1 priority. We cannot comment on this specific case because it is the subject of legal proceedings. He was remanded in custody to reappear there on 20 August for a committal hearing.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days