‘Gaddafi, family possess wealth in excess of $20 bn’
Berne: Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan leader who has ruled the country for over 40 years, and his family possess wealth "in excess of USD 20 billion”, an intelligence source has said.
"With all those revenues flowing through the national government, through the treasury, it`s pretty easy to tap those revenues for various purposes," CBS News quoted Raymond Baker, director of the Global Financial Integrity, as saying.
The Swiss government has already ordered a freeze on the assets belonging to Gaddafi in that country.
Earlier, WikiLeaks had quoted a January 2010 State Department cable written by current ambassador Gene Cretz, as saying that Gaddafi’s regime controls USD 32 billion in liquid assets around the world, adding that “several American banks are each managing USD 300-500 million" in regime funds, the report said.
"I remember interviewing the director of the Central Bank at one point who admitted that quite frankly, he had no idea for some years what money went where, and under what circumstances," said Dirk Vandewalle, author of `A History of Modern Libya` had claimed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living