Gay NBA star, Boston victims get Michelle Obama invites
Washington: Survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing and openly gay NBA player Jason Collins have been invited to President Barack Obama`s State of the Union address, the White House said Monday.
A statement named Collins and Boston survivors Carlos Arredondo and Jeff Bauman among the first round of invitees to watch Tuesday`s address in First Lady Michelle Obama`s box.
Arredondo and Bauman were at the center of one of the defining images from last April`s bomb attack, Arredondo, wearing a white Cowboy hat, helping rush the badly injured Bauman away for treatment.
Arredondo, 53, and Bauman, 27, who lost both legs in the attack, have since become close friends.
Collins meanwhile received an invite after a year which saw him make worldwide headlines when he became the first openly gay man in a major American team sport.
Other invitees announced by the White House included Gary Bird, a fire chief who oversaw search and rescue efforts following the devastating Oklahoma tornado which claimed 25 lives and destroyed 1,000 homes and businesses in the town of Moore last May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof