German minister defends Guantanamo move
Berlin: Germany`s interior minister is defending his decision to consider taking in prisoners from Guantanamo Bay amid criticism from within his own conservative party.
Thomas de Maiziere recently reopened discussions with the US about possibly taking in selected inmates — which his predecessor was unenthusiastic about.
De Maiziere noted on ZDF television on Thursday that Germany has called for the detention centre`s closure and said it has a duty, out of solidarity with an important partner, to examine whether it can help.
He said no decision is imminent on whether Germany will accept prisoners.
Conservative lawmakers and officials question whether that might pose a security risk and pointed to US unwillingness to house the prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Original seeds of monster black holes detected, claim astronomers
- OnePlus to launch Loop VR headset this summer
- Wishes galore! Look what Bollywood has to say on Karan Johar's 44th birthday
- Controversial BJP MLA targets Nehru-Gandhi family, asks govt to bring down statues named after them
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Mi 5 goes out of stock within minutes of open sale