German minister defends Guantanamo move
Berlin: Germany`s interior minister is defending his decision to consider taking in prisoners from Guantanamo Bay amid criticism from within his own conservative party.
Thomas de Maiziere recently reopened discussions with the US about possibly taking in selected inmates — which his predecessor was unenthusiastic about.
De Maiziere noted on ZDF television on Thursday that Germany has called for the detention centre`s closure and said it has a duty, out of solidarity with an important partner, to examine whether it can help.
He said no decision is imminent on whether Germany will accept prisoners.
Conservative lawmakers and officials question whether that might pose a security risk and pointed to US unwillingness to house the prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Usher announces new album 'Hard II Love'
- US to look for opportunities to advance India's NSG bid: Barack Obama
- Tunisian parliament approves national united government
- Guess who? This Bollywood veteran is giving Salman Khan serious fitness goals - Pic inside
- North Korea submarine missiles not ready until 2018: Experts