German minister defends Guantanamo move
Berlin: Germany`s interior minister is defending his decision to consider taking in prisoners from Guantanamo Bay amid criticism from within his own conservative party.
Thomas de Maiziere recently reopened discussions with the US about possibly taking in selected inmates — which his predecessor was unenthusiastic about.
De Maiziere noted on ZDF television on Thursday that Germany has called for the detention centre`s closure and said it has a duty, out of solidarity with an important partner, to examine whether it can help.
He said no decision is imminent on whether Germany will accept prisoners.
Conservative lawmakers and officials question whether that might pose a security risk and pointed to US unwillingness to house the prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray