German opposition leader denies PhD plagiarism
Berlin: Germany`s centre-left parliamentary opposition leader Frank-Walter Steinmeier denied allegations today that he plagiarised parts of his PhD thesis after similar charges have claimed several political scalps in recent years.
The University of Giessen in central Hesse state said it would study the allegation made by a university professor who used special software to find unsourced text passages from other works.
Steinmeier, 57, a former foreign minister and vice chancellor and a key figure in the Social Democratic Party (SPD), dismissed as "absurd" the claim, published in news weekly Focus.
"Should Giessen University decide to launch a review, I would view this with great serenity," he said.
The university said it would decide by tomorrow how to proceed.
Focus reported that economics professor Uwe Kamenz of Muenster in North Rhine-Westphalia had said he found "extensive" evidence of plagiarism in Steinmeier`s 1991 law thesis.
In February, German education minister Annette Schavan quit over a PhD plagiarism scandal, two years after defence minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg also resigned for cheating on his doctoral thesis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured