Greece to hold referendum on new debt deal
Athens: Greece`s Prime Minister George Papandreou on Monday said his troubled country will hold a referendum on a new European debt deal reached last week — gambling on a hard-bargained agreement that took months to hammer out.
Papandreou appeared to take many lawmakers by surprise with the announcement. He gave no date or other details on the proposed referendum, which would be the first in Greece since 1974, when the monarchy was abolished by a landslide vote held months after the collapse of a military dictatorship.
"This will be the referendum: The citizen will be called upon to say a big `yes` or a big `no` to the new loan arrangement," Papandreou told Socialist members of Parliament.
"This is a supreme act of democracy and of patriotism for the people to make their own decision ... We have a duty to promote the role and the responsibility of the citizen."
The new deal aims to seek 50 percent losses for private holders of Greek bonds and provide the troubled eurozone member with EUR 100 billion (USD 140 billion) in additional rescue loans.
Papandreou`s government has seen its majority reduced to just three seats in parliament and its approval ratings plummet amid harsh austerity measures that are likely to send the country into a fourth year of recession in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das